Travelling Exhibitions and 'Go for 2 & 5' Primary School Literature Programme
The Literature Centre aims to make literature more accessible to students from Pre-Primary to Year 12, in an inspiring and nurturing environment. Although many schools visit the Centre, we also conduct residences in primary and secondary schools and libraries throughout Western Australia.
For our visits out to primary schools, The Literature Centre proudly acknowledges our long and rewarding sponsorship with Healthway and 'Go for 2 & 5' who assist us with funding for our 'Go for 2 & 5' Primary School Literature Programme throughout the year.
These residences consist of the Centre's experienced Education Officers conducting stimulating workshops focusing on literature, writing and illustration. They include travelling exhibitions of original artwork, drafts, preliminary and other materials from Australian children's and young adult picture books. See the attachment below for our list of picture books available as travelling exhibitions.
The following information details the requirements needed to carry out a residence:
- One classroom-sized cleared quiet area for set up of the exhibitions, per presenter
- 8 - 10 carpet covered boards to which velcro can be attached (10 - 12 pin up boards are a second best alternative) Please note: these are NOT required for the Make Your Own Picture Book Workshops, Writing Workshops or Poetry Workshops.
- Whiteboard, markers and eraser
- 3 display tables
- If required, access to a class set of chairs and tables or class set of clipboards for students to lean on
- If required, students to bring lead pencils
Staff at The Literature Centre will plan your residence to suit the needs of your students. For some workshops, additional materials may be needed. These may include such things as a data projector and screen, access to a photocopier and access to water.
Sessions can be arranged to suit your school timetable. The most convenient arrangement is 3 sessions per day ie. start of school until recess, recess until lunch and lunch until the end of the day.
It would be appreciated if the following points could be taken into consideration when planning timetables:
- Allocate the longer sessions to the older classes
- Timetable similar year levels together, eg. junior primary classes one day, middle primary classes another day etc.
- If more than one exhibition is being used during the residence, please allow time for the exhibitions to be changed.
- It is important that students are not shown the exhibition book(s) before participating in a session, although we encourage teachers to read other books by the same author or illustrator, to the students. Please ensure all teachers are aware of this.
- So that the knowledge acquired during the sessions can be optimised, it is desirable that each class is accompanied by their classroom teacher. However, if this is not possible, another teacher must be present to fulfill duty of care requirements.
- Many teachers consider these sessions to be Professional Development and a rare opportunity to observe the individual responses of their students. Detailed teachers' notes, ensuring appropriate follow-up activities, will be provided.
Costs: Available on application.
Travel: As appropriate, kilometre rate @ 80 cents per km (to be advised by Centre staff after residence); cost of car hire and petrol; airfares; taxi fares
Accommodation and Meals: To be provided by the school during country residences. It would be appreciated if a light lunch could be provided, eg. sandwich and juice.
Payment: An invoice will be forwarded to the school shortly after the completion of a residence. Cheques can be made out to the The Literature Centre Inc. Direct debit details are available. Prompt payment is requested.
Cancellation Fee: A full cancellation fee will be charged if notice is given less than a term prior to the visit (excluding school holidays). This fee is applicable because the Centre is unable to absorb the cost of such cancellations.
Please contact The Literature Centre to discuss your needs. Ph: 08 9454 3490 or email: email@example.com